Here are some examples of old and now expensive classic Toyota vehicles that were originally sold in the Japanese domestic market (JDM) and sometimes make their expensive appearance in the Japan car auctions:
1. Toyota 2000GT: Produced from 1967 to 1970, the 2000GT is a rare and highly sought-after classic sports car. It is known for its sleek design, advanced features, and limited production numbers.
2. Toyota Supra Mk4 (A80): Produced from 1993 to 2002, the fourth-generation Supra is considered an iconic sports car. Its performance, particularly in the turbocharged variants, has made it a favorite among car enthusiasts, leading to its increasing value in the used car market. This was the 2nd car I ever bought in the auctions in Japan when I first started out. A non-turbo automatic for the Irish market.
3. Toyota Celica GT-Four (ST205): The Celica GT-Four, specifically the ST205 model produced from 1994 to 1999, was a high-performance version of the Celica. It featured all-wheel drive, turbocharged power, and rally-inspired characteristics, making it a desirable and collectible vehicle today. Commonly found still in the Japan car auctions.
4. Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40: The Land Cruiser FJ40 is a rugged and legendary off-road vehicle produced from 1960 to 1984. It has a dedicated following and is highly sought after by off-road enthusiasts and collectors due to its durability, capability, and classic styling. Unfortunately, unless restored, due to it’s old age, most of these found in the auctions will have rust and corrosion problems. An interesting homepage here selling models (miniture models).
5. Toyota MR2 (AW11): The first-generation MR2, produced from 1984 to 1989, is a compact and lightweight mid-engine sports car. Its nimble handling and unique design contribute to its popularity among car enthusiasts, resulting in increased value for well-preserved examples. This model is not too rare in the auctions.
6. Toyota Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno (AE86): The AE86, produced from 1983 to 1987, is a cult classic among car enthusiasts, thanks to its rear-wheel drive configuration and renowned handling characteristics. It gained further fame through its appearance in the Initial D manga and anime series. Due to it’s fame as a drifting vehicle, these cars are regular in the auctions but extremely expensive.
The AE86, also known as the Toyota Corolla Levin/Sprinter Trueno AE86, is particularly popular in the realm of motorsports, especially in drifting. Drifting is a driving technique where the driver intentionally oversteers the car, causing the rear wheels to lose traction, resulting in a controlled slide around corners. The lightweight, rear-wheel-drive configuration of the AE86, combined with its balanced chassis and responsive handling, makes it well-suited for drifting.
The AE86 gained significant recognition and popularity in the drifting community due to its appearance in the manga and anime series “Initial D” by Shuichi Shigeno. The main character, Takumi Fujiwara, drives an AE86 and showcases impressive drifting skills throughout the series. “Initial D” played a significant role in popularizing the AE86 and establishing its reputation as an iconic drift car.
Beyond drifting, the AE86 has also been used in various motorsport disciplines, including circuit racing, autocross, and rally. Its nimble handling, rear-wheel drive dynamics, and aftermarket support have made it a popular choice among motorsport enthusiasts seeking an affordable and capable platform.
The AE86’s reputation and popularity in motorsports have elevated its desirability among car enthusiasts and collectors, contributing to its elevated status in the automotive world.
7. Toyota Soarer (Z20/Z30): The Soarer is a luxury grand tourer produced from the 1980s to the 2000s. The earlier models, particularly the Z20 (1981-1989) and Z30 (1986-1991), are cherished for their elegant design, advanced features, and smooth performance.
These are just a few examples of classic Toyota vehicles from the JDM market that have become highly sought after and command high prices in the used car market and the Japan car auctions.